Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Call

Today, I was visiting a website of a friend from our church. She is still in her teens and she has decided to spend 6 months in South Africa. Jonathan and I had the privilege of knowing this girl when we helped lead in the high school youth group at our church. This girl amazed me with her faith and spiritual maturity and her devotion to God. She continues to be an inspiration to me and an encouragement. She posted message on her website that brought me to tears and I wanted to share it with you all:

"Isaiah 61:1-3

"The spirit of the Lord God is upon me. Because the Lord has anointed me to preach good tidings to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted. To proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound. To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; To comfort all who mourn,To console those who mourn in Zion, To give them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; That they may be called trees of righteousness, The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified."

Proverbs 31:8,9 "Open your mouth for the speechless, in the cause of all who are appointed to die (sons of passing away). Open your mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy."

This is my heart. I feel that God has spoken this to my heart in response to the verse above. I wrote it down a couple years ago in my journal. I feel that it is the best way to show where I am coming from and the best way to share the conviction which is compelling me to go out.

Whisper when the words aren’t spoken, hear when the words aren’t there. Speak for those whose hearts break open, shed with them their mournful tears. Look into their eyes and see it. Feel the need that they must feel. See the love they long for and be it. Take for them their burdens here. Hold up the weak, encourage the strong to be stronger. Don’t forget the lonely faces and don’t believe that someone else will do it. You are that someone. Simply caring isn’t enough to save lives. Act quickly, they are fading away. Give their voices a freedom to sing for joy. Break the chains around their feet so they can dance. Unlock their hands so they can clap. More beautiful than sunlight see their shining faces. Like no other sound, like angel’s voices rising all around.

I want to live a life worthy of the calling. Worthy of of Christ. I don’t see another way. I want to know God. I want to love like Jesus loved. I can’t ignore the scripture. I can’t pretend I didn’t hear Him calling me to live a more involved and selfless life. I can’t ignore it. I am accountable because I know. That is why I must go."


Reading this, you may think God can only use the mighty. But God uses the meek, a girl who has not been out of high school for long. God has called you to be something extraordinary. This is calling to all who follow Christ; to walk in fellowship with Him and be the hands and feet of Jesus to others. To disciple and love. I hope you are encouraged and I hope this has inspired you like it has me.

Adrienne

No comments: